Monday, July 11, 2011

Lessons In Domestication

On Sunday mornings the, then, 5 Dial kids would one by one make our way into Mom and Dads bed for a tickle and cuddle session. I remember my Dad called Kyria a cuddle bunny and my 11 year old mind felt an emotion close to jealousy. This particular day my Dad got up first and went to get ready. He went into the Laundry room to iron his shirt. He suggested I follow him, which I never ignore, to this day. In the next 10 minutes he taught me a lesson that, until recently, I thought was a large waste of time. He taught me how to iron a dress shirt.

Yesterday, while ironing before church, I recalled those 10 minutes. I felt joy knowing that I don't have much to give, but thanks to that lesson I was able to do something for the man who's shirts I will always want to iron.

No comments: