Friday, April 18, 2008

the center of the solar system

i love the sun. it's like, no matter how grumpy i wake up or how terrible my hair looks, if i go outside and i feel the sun, i automatically chill out. I don't have to save the world that day, because the sun is shining. I can skip through a park, because the sun is shining. My skin, which has been frozen for 5-and-a-half months, can defrost, (!) because the sun is shining.

The sun is shining today and I'm glad because it's friday and I don't usually feel like saving the world on Fridays. Maybe, just MAYBE, I can say "goodbye" to winter for good! Maybe I can bask in the sun everyday until my skin turns a beautiful shade of dark bronze and my mom starts making appointments for the dermatologist because "anyone this tan is going to get skin cancer" and "if [I] want to live past the age of 40 [I] better put on some sunscreen." Summer is the one time of the year everyone gets an excuse to be carefree. The days are longer, people are prettier, and (for some of us) school is out. So let's all just take a deep breath, put on some sun glasses, peel off a layer of clothing, and SMILE, because it's summer!

No comments: