Friday, October 3, 2008

just some thoughts for the day

"I wonder if we can ever really fathom the immense power of prayer until we encounter an overpowering, urgent problem and realize that we are powerless to resolve it. Then we will turn to our Father in humble recognition of our total dependence on Him." Richard G. Scott, "Using the Supernal Gift of Prayer," Ensign, May 2007, 8

Everyday I receive little quotes to my phone, like this one. It's this program on LDS.org called Daily Gems. So, I have an outlet for my religious ideas, and this is not it, but this quote was compelling enough for me to want to write about it. This came on a day when my snow balling life came to a screeching hault. I had all these realizations; why I'm here in Texas, why we're not together, and what I'm doing with my life (hint: nothing). I also realized that I am powerless without the Lord, which seems to be a reoccuring and profound discovery for me. Profound because I like to have complete control, I don't like surprises or authority or really anything that affects me adversely. Reoccuring because I seem to have to repeat this process, this total concession of my will and power each time I face a new chapter. I used to beat myself up about it wishing I would just get the message, but now I realize that as long as I eventually submit, it's okay to be a little slow because of all the great things I learn along the way. This time I learned that life doesn't wait for you to be ready. It just moves along and your readiness is completely up to you. Ultimately, there are two choices, do what you can to move along and learn and love and choose to be happy, or don't. Luckily, we have help and something to fall back on and He knows the exact outcome.


"I wonder if we can ever really fathom the immense power of prayer until we encounter an overpowering, urgent problem and realize that we are powerless to resolve it. Then we will turn to our Father in humble recognition of our total dependence on Him." Richard G. Scott, "Using the Supernal Gift of Prayer," Ensign, May 2007, 8

No comments: